The Center for Culture, Equity, and Empowerment is committed to eradicating oppression in all its forms and in collaboration with University colleagues and stakeholders to co-create an equitable campus climate and society, by providing intersectional programs, services, and support that elevates consciousness rooted in culture, healing, and liberation.
We envision a campus environment where every community member takes an active role in cultivating a space:
- that is grounded in the fundamental understanding that all identities are prioritized, respected, celebrated, and supported.
- where members are comfortable to voice perspectives, engage in critical and cross-cultural dialogue, and are free from harm.
- that empowers and amplifies marginalized communities through intersectional support, mobilization, and action.
- Transparency: We believe in transparency. We dedicate ourselves to being open and honest about processes, practices, and decisions.
- Respect: We believe in respect. We are committed to respecting the whole human – our emotional, social, physical, spiritual, intellectual, financial, and environmental wellbeing.
- Community: We believe in community. We dedicate ourselves to building a community that fosters a sense of belonging, safety, support, and care.
- Affirmation: We believe in affirmation. We are committed to upholding the humanity of all individuals to create an environment rooted in liberation and the resistance of societal treatment and negative depiction of marginalized communities.
- Uprooting Oppression: We acknowledge that power-based violence is rooted in oppression and that oppression operates within and under multiple systems of subordination that compound themselves. We commit ourselves to disrupting imbalances of power wherever and whenever possible.