Menu Close

Undocumented Student Resources – FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I finance college when undocumented?

  • In the past, any undocumented immigrants have graduated from college. They have accomplished this by either paying out of state tuition, taking part time classes.
  • Community college is a great option; Explore pathway programs to 4-year schools after completing Associates Degree.
    • Example: ADVANCE program (from NVCC to Mason)

Should DACAmented students complete FAFSA?

  • In Virginia, undocumented students are not eligible for Federal Aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). However, DACA recipients may fill out FAFSA or an Alternative Needs Assessment Form to determine EFC score.
  • Estimated Family Contribution (EFC)
    • For need-based awards can be determined through FAFSA and Alternative Needs Assessment Form.
  • Power of zeros
    • If your parents do not have a Social Security Number, enter all zeros in the application (e.g., 000000000)

Do undocumented immigrants pay taxes?

  • In 1996, the IRS created the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • ITINs are a tax processing number issued by the IRS for taxpayers who are not eligible to obtain SSNs
  • Individuals eligible for an ITIN include:
    • Unauthorized immigrants,
    • Lawfully present individuals, and
    • U.S. resident aliens/nonresident aliens
  • According to the New American Economy, undocumented immigrants paid 3.9 billion dollars in taxes in the year 2018.

Do DACA recipients serve in the military?

  • According to the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), there are 800 DACA recipients serving in the military
  • DACA recipients serve through the Military Accessions Vital to National Interests (MAVNI) program. This is a program for immigrants with certain critical skills to serve in.
  • In 2016, the program was suspended by the Trump Administration and is under review